Amazon ASIN Number: What is It and How Do You Get It
Starting an Amazon trading career, you probably faced with such term as ASIN number. At first glance, it seems to be something confusing and difficult. In fact, if you are ready to distribute your merch to one of the most popular marketplaces, there is a big moment here. You must know the crucial pitfalls. ASIN code is one of them.
Starting an Amazon trading career, you probably faced such a term as ASIN number. At first glance, it seems to be something confusing and difficult. In fact, if you are ready to distribute your merch to one of the most popular marketplaces, there is a big moment here. You must know the crucial pitfalls. ASIN code is one of them.
ASIN stands for Amazon Standard Identification Number. It’s a 10-digit alphanumeric (letters with numbers) unique code, assigned by Amazon and its partners for product identification. It is assigned the moment a new product / item in Amazon catalog is created and it is unique for each product within the system.
Moreover, it is also used to index directory pages to narrow the search for certain products according to customer preferences or needs. The additional point here is that ID helps to track the goods inventory, regardless of whether they are within the warehouse themselves or in other storage spaces they were previously.
You may be wondering, why are these ASIN numbers are so essential for Amazon merchants?
We’ve prepared several points which will cover all the questions:
- it equals Amazon’s listing numbers
- gives the ability to efficiently item management
- offers an exact outcome for clients and merchants
Clients’ practice in online shopping and their contentment still play a huge role. Due to ASIN number all the search results are as precise and complete for shoppers as possible. All your merch on the Amazon store must own a valid identification code.
- Tips from experienced Amazon sellers;.
- Tools for setting and scaling your Amazon Business;
- Special discounts on top-shelf eCommerce platforms.
Why Amazon ASINs are Important
Let’s see why ASINs are so important. The ASIN is also used to track inventory for items, reference data of the catalog, and index pages of the catalog to browse and search on Amazon.
The ASIN is the main part of the product catalog structure on Amazon that provides the shoppers (site visitors) with these features:
- Visitors can make their search through multiple categories of a certain product.
- Visitors can easily find any particular product using its ASIN number.
- Amazon can deliver relevant and precious product searches for clients.
Of course, clients need to use the correct ASIN number for their products because, in this way, Amazon can organize and search products for an optimized client’s experience.
How Can You Get an ASIN Number?
Finding the proper ID is especially significantwithin the Amazon system for your products to be displayed in relevant customer requests. Indeed, there are two different kinds of them, which should be differentiated:
- Unique. There must be a new ASIN for each new item.
- Regular. For those which are sold by someone, the old codes must be retained.
Let’s delve into each type.
- A new (unique) ASIN
Before you start selling unique products, check whether they are really such. Unique goods are the items that you have not sold before or something which is produced by your company. You need to get a new Amazon product id for each item. Indicate UPC or GTIN of the selling item while adding a new one to the list.
HOT TIP: Watch out while using custom product Amazon Standard Identification Number, as other merchants may also add that code for the realization of the same goods.
GTIN means global trade item numbers. One can find it next to the barcode on the packaging of the item. Among the most popular are:
- International Standard Book Number: 10 or 13 digits
- Universal Product Code: 12 digits
- European Article Number: 13 digits
- Global Trade Item Number: 14 digits
It happens that when working with products from other suppliers you know nothing about GTIN. So you may simply ask them for the necessary information. If you are the producer, you need to register your goods through the GS1 US for UPCs, or US ISBN Agency for ISBNs (for US sellers). These are one-stop product IDs for managing your own unique ASINs.
- Find an ASIN for an existing (regular) product
We set up several efficient ways to find the correct code if your competitors deal with the same group of products as yours:
- Look for the needed code in URL of the certain product. Just copy and insert it instead of yours.
- Scroll down to “Product Details”. This will work if your catalog consists of a limited amount of items.
- There are special tools to find the code, for example, such as ASIN Amazon Web Service.
- One more way is to search for code throughout UPC, or descriptions of goods.
- Follow these steps: go to Amazon Seller Central – Inventory – Add the product. Here you will get your ASIN code.
Another method of getting an appropriate ASIN code is to request the Amazon Support. It is one of the simplest and quickest ways to find the item you need and get proper support.
How to Create New Unique Amazon ASIN
When you want to create a new ASIN, there are several ways for this:
- Creating a new ASIN in an admin panel of Amazon. It’s the most simple way to add a new product. You need to use the Add a product option in your account to add each part of the product manually through the admin panel. It is a good method to get more information about the addition process on Amazon but unfortunately, this way isn’t effective if you have to add a big number of products because it would be time-wasting.
- Creating an ASIN using Amazon inventory templates. It’s simple to upload your products with special templates: at the start, you have to download a template file on Amazon – find it in the Add products in the upload section of your account. When you have filled the template, you have to upload it. After this, Amazon will process your document and create new products with their unique ASINs. This method is good if you have to add a big number of products without wasting a pile of time.
- Making a new ASIN using an automated feed. Thanks to a feed solution, sellers can add big numbers of products automatically and even systematically. A feed pulls information from the backend system or eCommerce shopping cart and then sends it to Amazon. You can edit your data before it is sent to meet all the strict requirements and optimize fields for conversion and SEO.
When you add new products on Amazon, you have to follow strict product data requirements and ASIN creation policy. If you do not meet these requirements, you will get an error, so the new products may not be created at all or get suppressed. If you create products using the admin panel, you will get some errors right away. But if you are creating products using an inventory file template, then your errors won’t be shown until after Amazon processed your file successfully. If your feed or file contains errors, Amazon will report a problem. In many cases, it’s not easy to understand and debug these errors, so you will have to read about the main errors and possible solutions on fixing them successfully.
ASIN Helps to Avoid Counterfeit Sales
Speaking about brands, people who are going to sell branded goods must meet certain criteria set by Amazon. It is made in order not to allow frauds and unauthorized intermediaries to offer any good. All the brands and sellers are free to apply for the product’s protection with the help of Amazon Private Labeling. But why are we mentioning it in the article about ASIN?
Trademark protection is ensured by the proper ASIN code. It happens because of the fact that each merchant who would like to sell something with the protected ID, needs to get the permission. After they get it, they need to contribute extra payment and demonstrate invoices. Moreover, there must be special permission in a written form by the brand, whose products are in sales.
ASIN is a pretty valuable and critical aspect. You, as an Amazon seller, should know how to get one and its importance for your business. Applying this ID, you will be able to trade products on the Amazon marketplace more efficiently. The right configuration and careful choice of proper IDs have the potential of increasing sales volumes.
What is more, if you are a manufacturer and sell your own products, ASIN IDs are a valuable asset that protects your items from fraud.
Have problems with the store integration or you would like to get some more additional info about Amazon tools? Feel free to contact Sellbery pros. We will get all your ducks in a row.
Was this news helpful?
Also Popular on Sellbery
Shopify and Amazon have become a primary choice for online sellers thanks to the offered unprecedented advantages and abilities for business growth. And the question is how to choose the one which aligns with your business goals, or, rather, is it really necessary to make a choice?
Running an Amazon business successfully takes a lot of time and attention. After all, it is not only the launch of the product that is crucial for its sales success, but also that the performance and KPIs are well monitored. Fortunately, sellers don't have to be magicians but can access a variety of useful Amazon FBA seller tools. The most important tools are product research tools, Amazon PPC tools, keyword & ranking tools, inventory tools, and feedback tools.
Learn how to use a stock synchronization tool when expanding your business across multiple sales channels
With the recent Amazon’s announcement about making free one-day shipping a golden standard for delivery to its Prime members, it is easy to imagine that the stakes have become higher for online retailers all over the world. The competition tightens even for the largest online marketplaces like eBay and Walmart.
Does Shopify integrate with Amazon? The question often arises among online sellers. High interest in Amazon and Shopify makes a lot of sense as these two are the most prominent names on the eCommerce market. As the popularity of the platforms is only rising, so does the necessity to work on both of them simultaneously.
Amazon is considered a fair trading platform where all sellers where all sellers have equal rights and chances to find customers. Although some traders have found a way to dodge in some tricky ways. These actions can be done either intentionally or unintentionally. In any case, after collecting some of these actions, risks for the account may appear. These are warning, restriction, or suspension.
It is announced by Amazon that they will no longer parse, support and display HTML tags on product detail pages. In other words, there will be no more Amazon product descriptions in HTML.
Find out how to increase purchases – and profit – on your e-commerce website by increasing your conversion rate in a few simple steps
A10 Amazon Algorithm is an update to A9, an algorithm for search engine promotion on the retail platform. Its main purpose is to help consumers find products. Just like Google, the marketplace algorithm ranks companies and products, offering the most relevant to customers.
In this article I’ll take apart the Сross selling meaning. I'll show you cross selling examples for products.