The majority of online traders deal with writing product descriptions every day. But here’s the thing, many sellers do not go to the trouble of correct and effective text. People rather bother with the design of the product and images than with the description.
Some cargo delivery companies do not write any text at all, which seems to be logical from the one hand. Everything is clear in delivery services and most likely, these companies have too many things to do. Instead, they can leave the description section empty or just copy some general info from other companies – not a great idea, to tell the truth.
A correct product description is an essential part of any eCommerce offer. Nielsen Norman Group’s research suggests statistics that about 20% of sales stay not completed because of the absence of description. This is the reason why we have prepared this article for you. We suggest you explore several good enough reasons and tips about compelling product descriptions.
Effective Descriptions: Tips and Tricks
Let’s start with the definition. Product description is a special marketing text that explains customers why they should buy your merch. The main goal here is to explain all the essential information, features, and advantages of products.
One of the main and most common mistakes is to describe items in a simple way. It means just to explain it as it is. The first thing to remember about this issue is the fact that the product description must sell this product. Let’s dive into some important details.
- Stay focused on your ideal customers
If you have ever read any product description and imagined yourself talking with a seller, that was a nice description. It is a valuable fact if the customers can find all the answers to their questions in one product description only. It means that you, as a seller, need to write the text that will appeal to your target audience. It can look like you are asking questions and answering them at the same time.
Writing an efficient text, think about the dialog with a potential ideal client in the local physical store. How would this conversation look like? Try to give as much relevant and valuable information as possible. Use not only common phrases but add some humor also if it is needed. You need to understand that product description takes over a real dialog with persuasions. This text must sell.
- Use the “who, what, where, when, why and how” method
Journalists often use this method to get acquainted with information. It is the first stage in perfect product description creation.
- Who is the consumer? Decide what target audience you have: men, women or both. Consider also age group (college kids, retirees), lifestyle demographics (young mummies, moto enthusiasts), or some other defined groups of people.
- What are the main features? Describe attributes, material, functions, advantages, options your products have.
- Where can it be used? Explain to customers whether it meant for indoor or outdoor use, for the car or house maybe.
- When should people use your merch? Is it intended for use at certain times of the day, season, or for a specific type of event? It is equally important to show whether the product can be used every day or all year round, as this indicates its long-term value.
- Why is your product useful or better than competitors’? It can be anything from quality to value and opportunity. Think about the benefits that will win your customers over. Also, consider how images can complement your product.
- How does the product work? This may not be necessary for each product, but if you are selling anything with moving parts or electronics, consider it as a must-have point.
These questions are great for use as a product description template when you want to highlight the strong points of your products.
- Make your description scannable
Does your web design encourage site visitors to read product descriptions? Packaging descriptions of your products with a clear, scannable design makes them easier to read and more attractive to potential customers. Here are some areas to look for when designing yours:
- Engage your web visitor with headers.
- Use easily scanned markers.
- Turn on a lot of empty space.
- Increase the font size to improve readability.
- Operate with sensual words
Cafes and restaurants have known this point for a long time already: sensual words increase sales because they use more brain processing power. Bear in mind that adjectives are tricky words. Often they do not add meaning to your suggestions, and you better remove them. However, sensory adjectives are powerful words because they make your customer experience your product and its description while reading. Dazzle your readers with vivid product descriptions.
- Work with your readers’ imagination
Scientific studies have proven that if people hold the product in their hands, their desire to own it increases. You sell online, so your visitors cannot store your products. Large, crystal clear pictures or videos can help, but there is another way of copywriting to increase your desire: let your reader know what it’s like to own your product.
To practice this copywriting technique, start a sentence with the word “imagine” and end your sentence (or paragraph) by explaining how your readers will feel about owning and using your product.
- The temptation with social proof
When your visitors are not sure which product to buy, they start looking for other offers. They often tend to purchase the product with the most positive reviews. But there are other ways to incorporate social proof into your product description.
The inclusion of a person’s image increases the credibility of the quote; it also makes the online company more personal and affordable, encouraging customers to call to get answers to their questions. The above quotation has an additional effect because it describes the product as popular. The statement of popularity is supported by a clipping from the press and the phrase “favorite phrase.”
Most buyers are attracted to the purchase of something popular. When it comes to your eCommerce site, highlight the products that are favorite among your customers.
Download the eBook
“Best Tools & Tips to Succeed on Amazon” and Get:
- Tips from experienced Amazon sellers;.
- Tools for setting and scaling your Amazon Business;
- Special discounts on top-shelf eCommerce platforms.
- Sometimes it’s better to show, not tell.
Text is not always the best way to describe your product. If you are too verbose, consider how you can simplify. Images have weight and are better remembered by customers. If possible, show off your product in a visual way that accurately explains what it is. Except for graphics, video can be an extremely effective way to show how to use a product or why it is better than the other ones. Many brands use video, graphics, and text to get the point.
“Aut cum scuto, aut in scuto” which means go big or go home. A compelling product description always pays off. Share your knowledge about your product. Tell stories and explain even the smallest details. Try not to be boring, but instead please your visitors with seductive descriptions. First of all, write with enthusiasm, because your passion for your products is contagious. Know your audience. Know your product. And then show and tell with the descriptions of your online store!
Register on Sellbery and Get:
- Forever Free 99 SKU Plan — the best offer on the market.
- Pain-free integrations with the largest marketplaces to sell your products in 50+ countries.
- Free & Easy connection to Google Merchant for an unlimited product upload to start Google Smart Shopping Campaigns.